Sunday, March 31, 2013

Running: My journey so far.

Happy Easter everybody! Sorry I have been MIA for the past few weeks. Blogging has just taken a backseat to...well, life! I'm back though, and here is my running story.

I did it.

I ran 3 miles, without taking a single break to walk or rest.

I loved it.

Two months ago, if you would have told me I could run a 5k I wouldn't have believed it. I had written it down as a goal- but that's all it was. A goal, a dream. When I signed up for my first 5k and began the Couch 2 5k plan, I couldn't run half a mile! WOW that program works. I used the C25k app up until week 6, and then since it was just running miles, I decided to (loosely) do the same thing on my own. 

Only went to Week 6 on the app.... But I did the rest on my own (;

I ran up through Week 6 on a treadmill at the local YMCA. It was just way too cold in the Illinois weather (and sometimes too snowy!) to comfortably run outside. I highly recommend starting on a treadmill! While it is boring, you can watch TV or get some reading done during the early weeks of the Couch 2 5k program. It is also nice to know how many miles you did-so you can brag to all your friends (;

For the past week, with temps in the 40's, I've gotten the chance to run outside. WOW, it's a little bit harder! However, I discovered, much to my surprise, that I love road running. I love smiling at people, feeling the breeze, and the sense of accomplishment that doesn't come from the treadmill. I see why people call it the Dreadmill now...

When I ran those three miles, I pushed past the little voice telling me to slow down or walk, to cut out the last part of my run, and I just did it. I believe they call the feeling I experienced a runner's high. I felt like I was on top of the world. When I looked down at my ipod (I have been running with nike+) and saw 3.02 miles and 28 (TWENTY EIGHT!!!) minutes, I was ecstatic! I have never run that fast in my entire life. I had beat my goal pace for the Mother's Day 5k on the very first time I ran a 3 miler!

I think you can say that I have officially fallen in love with running. (:

My running shoes!<3

My first official 5k is the Sprint for Spastics and it is a week from today- I am so pumped.
I'm hoping to come in under 30 minutes, and that 3 mile run makes me very confident in that goal (:

Wish me luck!!

-Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment

//
Blogging tips